Potjie

What started as a cultural fascination (see previous blog posts here and here) has turned into a full-fledged obsession. Me and the potjie -- the black cast iron pot you use to cook potjiekos (lit. pot-food) over the fire. I love it and have recently started making up reasons to cook in the potjie. My dear South African parents have watched the evolution from enjoyment of the delicious food to addiction and sent me back to the States with my very own number 3 pot (the last photo below. I have at 2 scheduled opportunties to cook in it and am always looking for more).


Samuel leading church -- his favorite activity -- while I'm cooking in the pots at Agape 4.



Potjie is a team effort for me -- I need someone to manage the fire. Here is Reyno.

This is the box I checked on the flight with me. Sisipho wrote on the box: "Ons gaan Tannie Amy mis" (we're going to miss Auntie Amy").

No comments:

Post a Comment