
Sunday is my favorite day of the week here. I love church. I didn't go to church for about ten years. Then when I started going to First Presbyterian in Houston my friends joked that I seemed to be there all the time (I really wasn't, but it was true that I was never available for Sunday brunch)... the church at Agape is markedly different from First Pres. Agape never intended to start a church, but then when some of the local gangsters wanted to learn more about Jesus, they found themselves unwelcome in the more traditional churches. It's usually very lively and the congregation is quite animated. Pastor Enock from Bel Air Pres shared the joke that the only participation from a Presbyterian congregation is
maybe an "Indeed!" on Easter Sunday.
Samuel joining in to pray with the worship leaders before church

It's not uncommon for special events, like this wedding, to be celebrated in church.

The end of church. Laurel took this video when she was here.
On a recent Sunday the message was about helping those in need and the scriptures were from Luke (
The Parable of the Good Samaritan and
The Calling of Levi). Fergusson spoke about his time in the hospital last month, waiting with Joshua, not knowing how serious a case of meningitis he had. Fergusson thought about how if he hadn't left his job to work full time for Agape, he would have been in a much nicer private hospital, rather than the public hospital. He then felt the Lord saying to him that "I am with the poor, so I am here with you and each one of these people here." Jesus spent much of his time on earth with the poor, the sinners, and the outcasts of society; those who are humble and desperate seek him, even and especially in a place like this.
No comments:
Post a Comment