Asiphe Housemothers
There is no one at Agape I admire more than these women. From left to right – Katie, Katrina, Charmaine, Lizzie, and Pina (short for Phillipina).
They are the housemothers of Asiphe, a home for 15 children with severe disabilities. All except Lizzie (who works 8-5 M-F) work 24 hour shifts 4 days a week. They are cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, changing diapers, administering medications and feeding tubes, feeding children, comforting sad or crying children, playing games and administering the various physical therapies required for each of the children. My living quarters connect to the Asiphe house, I am able to spend a lot of time with these women and the Asiphe children. Some of my most cherished moments so far have been late night conversations with these women. They finally have a chance to rest and eat dinner at about 10PM, after the children are in bed and the work is finished. The shift change happens at 8AM, and we begin each day with singing, prayer, and a devotional, usually read in Afrikaans by Katie. Charmaine’s singing voice is so beautiful and I love when I can hear her singing from my room. Ami calls the Asiphe children the Angels of Agape, so I call these women the caretakers of the Angels.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment